Monday, March 24, 2008

Into The Wild

Sean Penn's directing debut 'Into The Wild' released on DVD recently and I had the opportunity to watch it this weekend. When the film was showing in the theatre I had read numerous reviews praising the movie and Penn's talent, not only as one of the best actors in the last 25 years, but now as a director. Jon Krakauer's story of a young man who abandons his possessions and family to live a life in the isolated Alaskan wilderness is truly touching and inspiring and Emile Hirsch, being one of my personal favorites, didn't disappoint me here as he played the role of top student and athlete Christopher McCandless superbly. With a heart-rending story, impressive directing and exceptional acting coming from not only Hirsch but a surrounding all-star cast including Catherine Keener, Oscar nominated Hal Holbrook, Vince Vaughn and William Hurt, 'Into The Wild' is most definitely one of my personal favorites.




2 comments:

Ashley said...

I've wanted to see this movie for so long. I looks/sounds amazing.
~Ashley

aliqot said...

I read most of the book while on vacation this summer - it was in the self-catering cottage we stayed in. I think it freaked me slightly because I identified with the guys parents, and kept thinking along the lines of wasted potential.
When I was young I think I would have been very keen on Christopher's extreme asceticism. I'll look out for the film.