Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Horton Hears A Who





These days, traveling to the movie theatre and purchasing a ten buck ticket to see a animated family movie is an extremely rare occasion for me, but when I heard that Dr. Seuss' 1954 classic 'Horton Hears A Who' was being adapted into a animated film starring the hilarious Jim Carey and Steve Carrel I immediately penciled it down on my list of movies to watch. Considering I am on my spring break at the moment, I had the opportunity to join a couple friends and go see the flick. Now, I have always loved Dr. Seuss' books. The creativity and imagination he uses is incredible and he always ties in life lessons that are crucial to understand, not only for children but for any age. This story was no exception. The plot is about a comical, charismatic elephant, named Horton (Jim Carey), who comes across a miniature town, Whoville, that lays inside of a spec of dust. No one but Horton can hear the town mayor's (Steve Carrel) cry for help as he knows his town is in grave danger. Horton's world is run by a callous kangaroo who views Horton as a nuisance and convinces the community that Horton is crazy, while in Whoville the mayor is trying to warn the city of the dangers and the towns people consider him foolish and ignore his warning. The characters in the story teach you to never underestimate someone based on outward appearance. I didn't expect the movie to have such a meaningful life lesson. Going to see 'Horton Hears A Who' really made me think about life and how I treat other people; I not only consider this movie to be an excellent family flick but in over all film as well. I definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good story.

3 comments:

Sayeema said...

It was a good movie :)

Car said...

Thank you for loving this movie as much as I did. I knew I was going to enjoy it, but like you I walked away from it feeling different about life. I love when that happens :)

Anonymous said...

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who is classic, i forgot how much that guy packed into such simple storylines... they didn't add much to the original story either except for the usual Jim-Carryisms.